Friday, July 29, 2016

TGIFrida Kahlo!

#stayfocused #createdaily #fridakahlo

Hello Creative People! 

Hope you are all well on this awesome Friday!! 

Well I am happy that I finally had some time to work in one of the travel art journals I received in the mail a few weeks ago.   The theme for this journal is "Frida."  
I googled images of her and I took inspiration from a photo of her in a blue dress.  I know I had to make sure to captured the breaded hair, flowers or bows on her head and of course the unibrow.  

Here are some process pics...



And here is the finished page...


This was my first "Frida" portrait and I know it will not be my last! I really enjoy doing my research and learning more about her.  I mean, I do remember learning about her as a fine art student way back when, but the details  I can recall are general.  
I knew she was married to artist Diego Rivera, but didn't know that they got divorced and then remarried.  I knew she had physical limitations, but the fact is that she had polio as a child and at the age of 18 she was in a horrible vehicular accident, those details were not in my memory bank. During her recovery she began painting.  
I figured out I knew so little about her. I think I spent more time reading about her than I did painting a version of her.  

Well now it's time for this little "Frida" take a trip to Australia, then she will travel to New Zealand, before she makes her way back to her new home in California!
May she travel safe and make it to each destination in one piece! 

Thank you very much for taking time to visit my blog, hope to see you again soon. 

Blessings,
Carmen

PS I already started on the next travel journal which is a woodland girl theme.  To check out my progress, please follow me on social media: 
Twitter -  @Carmen_Buster 
Facebook artist page - www.facebook.com/mycreativeme
Instagram - @csbuster

Resources: 
Info on Frida Kahlo: www.biography.com 
Frida Kahlo Images: http://nickolasmuray.com 

19 comments:

itsamistry said...

This is fantastic.

Lisa Isabella Russo said...

She is lovely! I especially like her crown of roses.

Linda Kunsman said...

oh she is so beautiful-and definitely your personal style and take! I was fortunate to see some of her works and that of her husband's at a special exhibition in Philadelphia, PA some years ago and I still think about it. There is a wonderful movie about her life starring Selma Hayek-a must see if you can find it. Happy PPF!

carol l mckenna said...

She is indeed beautiful and so well done ~ lovely art work ~

Happy Weekend to you ~ ^_^

Fran said...

I really like your Frida lady. Yes I had to study about her also but was never very appreciative of her work. I liked Rivera better.

Ayala Art said...

LOVE!!!!!!!! ♥ ♥ ♥ Beautiful!!!

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

Yes a lot of detail was left out in school about Frida. You have created a beautiful rendition of her. Have a happy Sunday.

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

that is a great portrait of her :) She had such in interesting life, and I love her work


Happy PFF :)
Jen #44

Faye said...

Carmen, Your Frida is beautiful. I love the lovely face you gave her.

Anewdawn 16 said...

lovely !!!

Mona Pendleton said...

Your girl looks stunning! Happy PPF :)

Christine said...

Your Frida is so sweet looking!

Indira said...

Beautiful. I love the way you have made her your own while retaining some of her well known features.

June Walker said...

Just beautiful!

Neesie said...

Oh Carmen this is a beautiful painting and I really enjoyed reading your post.
Congratulations on being featured on PPF.
Have a wonderful weekend.

Giggles said...

Love her little face so much!! Nice to see you featured at ppf!!

Hugs Giggles

GlorV1 said...

Love this.

Danielle Nzadi said...

Beautiful work indeed

Panharith said...

This is wonderful!






Goldenslot สล็อต
goldenslot mobile