Sunday, July 28, 2013

My first Art Journal!

Art Journal #1, Cover and Page 1

Hello Everyone!  I'm super excited that I am now officially art journaling!! 

I bought my first mixed media art journal a couple of weeks ago (along with a bunch of other fun art stuff!) and couldn't wait to start creating.   Well, its going to be harder than I thought to carve out time to journal... and it doesn't help that I don't have an actual crafting space or that my art supplies  are in three different places. 

Anyway, I was able to take some time last week and work on the front cover.  I took inspiration from one of  Tracy Weinzapfel's Mixed Media Monday pieces and put my own spin on it (which happens to be the MMM Creative Dare for July). 

Materials: 9x12 Mixed Media art pad; Gesso; molding paste; Acrylics; pg from magazine ; rubber stamp; Harlequin Stencil - Crafters Workshop - 6x6 - 474763


It felt really good to paint and get my hands dirty, very relaxing... quite therapeutic! 

 ~ ~ ~

Ok so now its time to start journaling.  I was a little nervous to start page one of the journal.  I know ultimately these are just artistic reflections of my feelings, but since I know that I will be sharing some of them, I feel they need to be perfect...Yes, I know.. Carmen get over yourself and let go!!.   I will get there... someday.

The page took about two days to complete, mostly because I incorporated acrylic paint skin and it needs at least 24hrs to dry.  On Tuesday I just chose a color palette for the background, but I wasn't sure what to do next so I left it alone.   For those who know me and know I really don't like purple (don't know why I just don't) can see I am letting creativity flow if that is one of the colors for my first journal page. 
Wednesday evening I couldn't sleep so I decided to just create and let go!  I got in the zone!  I didn't even notice how much time had passed by and didn't make it to bed until 4ish, needless to say I was super sleepy at work. 

I really like the way it turned out...


Materials: Crayola Slick Stix; Acrylic Paint Skin circles; Fine tip and Ultra fine tip Sharpie - Black; Elmers Painters Markers; Black (4b;6b) and White Charcoal pencils; Blick Gel Medium; Mod Podge - Gloss; Bible verse printed on tissue paper


“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
~ Matthew 11:28

Enjoy and Be Blessed!
Carmen










1 comment:

Laurianna said...

This is just lovely! I love both the cover and your first page... love the face and the movement in the hair... STUNNING!

La-